After President Donald Trump came out with aggressive comments toward those who chose to protest the national anthem and “disrespect the flag” on Friday night at an Alabama rally, it ignited a firestorm of attacks. More NFL players than ever protested the anthem before their Sunday games. Owners, coaches, trainers, and players kneeled before some games, and entire teams even stayed in the locker room while the anthem played.
However, NASCAR has taken a totally different approach to the protests. Owners have come out with bold comments condemning anyone on their teams that choose to protest the anthem.
As Independent Journal Review previously reported, NASCAR legend Richard Petty, who is now a team owner, told the Associated Press:
“Anybody that won’t stand up for the anthem ought to be out of the country. Period. What got ’em where they’re at? The United States.”
After being asked if people on his team choosing to protest the national anthem would be fired, Petty responded, “You’re right.”
Another owner, Richard Childress, who was Dale Earnhardt’s longtime team owner said:
“It’ll get you a ride on a Greyhound bus. Anybody that works for me should respect the country we live in. So many people gave their lives for it. This is America.”
But now, one of the most well-known NASCAR drivers is joining in on the drama with his own take. Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweeted Monday morning following a day of NFL chaos:
All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK
— Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) September 25, 2017
Despite his father’s long-time team owner blatantly coming out against national anthem protesters, Earnhardt Jr. appears to be siding with them.